Wednesday, October 16, 2013

day sixteen!

What day is it?

HUMP DAY

BECAUSE I AM HALFWAY DONE WITH THE PROJECT WOOOOO

Not that I'm not loving it!  I really am enjoying the Project this year, it's definitely given me thought about image and presentation and how much I should (or shouldn't) care about that.  It's made me think creatively about what I wear and why I wear it.

It's freeing, but also limiting.  I can't wear pants with this dress because it doesn't look good tucked in (which sucks because jeans are great), and I have to think pretty critically sometimes (which is hard most mornings) to figure out what I'm going to wear.

But this is nothing compared with the problems that so many other women face throughout the world.  What right do I have to complain about my issues when so many women are forced into things like prostitution, and they have to wear a dress that turns them into an object.  I'm lucky to have the ability to choose what I wear and wear it as a form of self-expression, not a selling tool.

I'm lucky to live the life I live.  I'm incredibly lucky to have access to the resources for education and empowerment and to spend my time doing things I want to do.  I can complain all I want, I can mourn and mope, I can begin every sentence with the word I, but I will always be incredibly blessed.

And I need to remember that more often.


Today's outfit is an off-white shirt with green birds on it, green tights, the dress as a skirt, and brown boots!  And spicy hot chocolate makes everything better when you've had a rough day.

No comments:

Post a Comment